Sunday, December 28, 2014

Homemade Creamy Eggnog Recipe


I'm not sure what started it, but the kids were really excited to make homemade eggnog this year.  They kept talking about it during the weeks leading up to Christmas, and I loved the idea since A) eggnog is de-licious, and B) I have fond memories of helping my dad make it on Christmas morning.

I haven't made any since I was young though, and had no idea what recipe to use.  I asked on Facebook and looked a few up on Allrecipes.  In the end I used them for inspiration and made my own recipe based on what I had on hand.  It was super easy and was a big hit - and a super savings!  The kids and adults loved how it turned out, so I knew I had to share with you guys!

I've been following Trim Healthy Mama since April and have improved my health (and weight) greatly! I've been making some really yummy and healthy holiday drinks (like Coconut Malted Nog, Java Chip Frappe, Winter Wonderland Sip) so I didn't feel deprived in the least....but I also made sure to allow for a few splurges...this eggnog being one of them! =) 
(Eventually I'd like to try to "THM-ify" it! The kids have been begging for me to make more, so it may not be long!)




Homemade Creamy Eggnog Recipe

6 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 quart half and half
1 quart coconut milk
1 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup heavy cream

1. Beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale, about 5 minutes.
2. Gradually stir in half and half, coconut milk, and nutmeg.
3. In separate chilled bowl, whip cream to a peak. Fold into egg mixture.  Refrigerate overnight if possible. Shake before serving. 


Notes:
  • I made sure to get some great quality free-range eggs from the farmers market since they would be consumed raw.
  • We only had time to refrigerate for a couple hours, and it was great - though it was definitely better chilled than right after mixing. I would imagine overnight would be even better to let the flavors develop more and allow the frothiness to settle.
  • I do think you could sub coconut milk for the half and half and the heavy cream to make it dairy-free. It would be much thinner, but I'm guessing still really yummy!
  • Some of the original recipes I looked at included bourbon and/or rum in the ingredients. Since kids would be drinking it, that obviously wasn't an option, but I added a bit of rum to my own glass and it was delicious!  ;)




photo credit

No comments: